Media aide of the Minister of Works and Housing, Hakeem Bello, in a Statement titled, ‘2023 elections: Fashola distances self from the antics of unsolicited support groups’, has revealed that, the Works and Housing Minister Mr. Babatunde Fashola, is not so pleased with the posters of himself, alongside Professor Babagana Zulum, governor of Borno state, circulating on social media, tagging him as president and Zulum as vice president come 2023.
Fashola, a former Lagos state governor, said, no person or group of persons, contacted him or asked for his consent or permission before displacing his posters all over the social media. He therefore, distanced himself from such unsolicited solidarity.
Recall that last weekend, one Abayomi Mademaku, the Convener of a group supporting Fashola, and Zulum, said, the nameless group will launch a campaign on October 2, in favour of Minister Fashola and Prof. Zulum as president and vice president of Nigeria respectively come 2023.
While Nigerians seem eager to know to what end this is, the spokesperson of the former governor and an incumbent minister under President Buhari’s administration, has in a Press Statement, negated the graphic illustrations in the posters which has strong news content.
Mr. Fashola’s media aide, Hakeem Bello said,
“The Media Office of the Hon. Minister of Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola, SAN, has urged well-meaning people to disregard the invitation of some Groups, operating under ‘The Nigeria Project 2023,’ purportedly to the inauguration of a Support Group for the Minister and the Governor of Borno State over the 2023 elections.
He affirmed that,
“Without equivocation, no individual or Group has contacted the Honorable Minister for or on behalf of The Nigeria Project 2023. As Honorable Minister, Mr. Fashola is currently focused on leading his dedicated Team in the Ministry of Works and Housing to deliver on the mandate of President Muhammadu Buhari for an expanded and upgraded road transport infrastructure; and affordable Housing nationwide in order to achieve economic growth and prosperity for the citizenry.
Bello reiterated that,
“Ordinarily, the poster and the various social media reports, would have been ignored, as the handwork of mischief makers, but, it became necessary to issue this disclaimer for two key reasons:
“The first of such was to answer with a strong negative to the numerous inquiries from right thinking and well-meaning Nigerians on whether the Honorable Minister had been contacted or if the Groups had his consent in issuing the invitation.
“Secondly, is the fact that entities unknown to a political party cannot present candidates on behalf of such a political party. As a ranking and loyal member of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), the individual and groups cited as promoters of ‘The Nigeria Project 2023’ are unknown to the APC and the Honorable Minister.
Media aide Hakeem Bello therefore, advised Nigerians to disregard any of such claims saying,
“Against the backdrop of the foregoing, the Honorable Minister of Works and Housing, Mr. Babatunde Fashola SAN, urges members of the public to be wary of the antics of unsolicited individuals and Support Groups whose real intentions remain questionable. Every support possible should be given to the efforts of the current administration under the leadership of President Muhammadu Buhari to deliver a better nation for all.