The Nigerian Railway Corporation (NRC) has assured all Nigerians that all kidnapped victims during the Monday, March 28, 2022 Abuja-Kaduna train attack will be rescued.
This is contained in the statement made available to newsmen on Monday April 4 by the NRC’s managing director, Fidet Okhiria, who confirmed that the Corporation is working with security agencies to ensure the prompt release of the abducted persons.
“We are committed to the rescue of our passengers and staff who were on board the ill-fated Ak9 train service.”
“We shall continue to collaborate with security agencies to ensure that all persons being held are rescued unhurt and reunited with their families.”
MD Okhiria confirmed that “191 passengers out of the 362 validated passengers on board the train, had been confirmed safe and are in their various homes.”
He however revealed that,
“Five others were confirmed safe on April 4. About 46 phone numbers on the manifest are still either switched off or not reachable.”
“Thirty-three phone numbers are ringing but not answered, and 62 phone numbers are responding to be non-existent.”
NRC Managing Director again said, “20 crew members were on board the train when the unfortunate incident happened” and that so far, 22 persons had been reported missing by their relatives while eight persons had been confirmed dead.”
“Seven NRC staff, five are safe and two missing. Ten janitors, six are safe, three missing and one dead. Also one caterer is safe while two are missing;” Okhiria added.
Fidet Okhiria who promised “to regularly give updates on the incident to avoid speculations and misinformation” said, the Corporation’s “heart goes out to those who lost loved ones, and those injured in the attack who are now recuperating.”
He however affirmed that,
“Intensive track repair works have been ongoing to enable the recovery of the remaining coaches and locomotives.”