Chief Sunday (Adeyemo) Igboho, in a statement signed by the Communication Manager, Maxwell Adeleye is to remain in Benin Republic’s custody till Monday July 26th, 2021 before hearings resumed.
Below is the statement
UPDATE ON CHIEF SUNDAY ADEYEMO IGHOHO’S CASE IN REPUBLIC OF BENIN
BY ILANA OMO OODUA
▪ Yesterday, the court set Mrs. Adeyemo, lgboho’s wife free since it has been found that she has committed no offence and there’s no complain whatsoever against her. Consequently, her German passport was returned to her.
▪ The Lawyers handling the case reported after the proceedings that Chief Sunday Adeyemo lgboho cannot be extradited to Nigeria for two principal reasons:
1. That contrary to insinuations, Nigeria and Benin have no Extradition Agreement.
2. That Nigeria has not been able to come up with charges that could lead the court to order lgboho’s extradition to Nigeria.
▪ What Nigerian Government came up with were mere allegations against Ighoho such as trafficking in arms and inciting violence that could result in the social disturbance without evidence which the Government of Benin Republic considered spurious and untenable, and insufficient to warrant extradition.
▪ Lastly, the case has been adjourned till Monday 26th July to allow the Nigerian Government bring up whatever evidence they may have, and Mr. lgboho has been taken back to the police custody.
Ilana Omo Oodua
Friday 23rd July, 2021