“A sad day for us, indeed!” These are the very words of the staff of the University of Abuja on Facebook, after the abduction of members of its staff, alongside their children, by gunmen, on Tuesday, November 2nd.
Consequent upon this, the kidnappers have contacted family of the victims, demanding for N300 million as ransom.
This is according to the Institution’s Public Relations Officer, PRO, Habib Yakoob, who said, “they have contacted the family of the victims, and we learnt that they are demanding for N300 million for all of them.”
Mr. Yakoob who confirmed the development on Thursday, November 4, gave the names of those kidnapped at the school’s staff quarters, during the ordeal as: Professor Obansa and his son; Professor Oboscolo, his son and daughters, Dr. Tobins and Mr. Sambo Mohammed.
Sources had earlier said, the kidnappers, were before now, demanding a sum of N50 million for each of the victims. But now, a round figure of N300 million, were reportedly the amount expected by the abductors.
Abuja Police Force Command spokesperson, Josephine Adeh, who also had earlier confirmed the incident in a statement, said, preliminary investigation revealed a number of “six (6) persons were allegedly abducted into the forest by the criminals.”
She added that, a combined team of the Police, and personnel of the Nigerian Army, 176 Guards Battalion, have been swiftly mobilized to protect the area, as well as the citizens.