Terrorism: FG Will Not Name and Shame Sponsors… Femi Adesina

Mixed reactions have trailed the comments of President Muhammadu Buhari’s Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, saying the Buhari’s regime is not ready to make an open shame of sponsors of terrorism despite the fact that, United Arab Emirates, (UAE) authorities had earlier, graciously named about six (6) Nigerians personalities and 47 other foreign nationals, in connection with terrorism in the country.

 

The Presidential spokesperson said this during an interview session with Channels TV on Monday.

Mr. Femi Adesina said,

“Naming and shaming will not be the motive. Bringing malefactors to justice will be it. Nigeria is not interested in naming and shaming anybody. Rather, it wants to bring them to justice.

 

Recall that in August during an interview session, still on Channels TV, ex naval officer, Kunle Olawunmi, a top intelligence military officer did not mince words in condemning the APC’s regime stance on terrorism. He had said,

“The government has developed cold feet in fighting the insurgency because some of those backing Boko Haram are now top-ranking government officials …

He added,

“Why can’t this government, if not that they are partisan, bring those people out for trial?”

 

Similarly, the Attorney-General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami’s sometimes in May also reiterated that some eminent Nigerian personalities are behind the insurgence witnessed in the country especially the northern regions, and that the government is prosecuting them.

The Attorney-General of the Federation, Malami had said,

“In essence, it is indeed true that the government is prosecuting, and it’s indeed initiating processes of prosecuting those high-profile individuals that are found to be financing terrorism. It is indeed true,”

 

Following the Attorney-General, Femi Adesina also assured Nigerians that, top individuals found culpable would be dragged to court for prosecution and that investigations are ongoing for action.

 

Presidential spokesperson Adesina said,

“Investigations are going on at different levels. It will be at the level of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, (EFCC), it will be at the level of the Nigerian Intelligence Agency, (NIA). All the security agencies will be working on it so that, when those people eventually appear in court, there will be a prima facie case against them.”

 

EFCC Chairman, Abdulrasheed Bawa, still on Channels TV, in his own reaction said, the Commission could not reveal the identities of the sponsors Boko Haram and other insurgent groups in the country.

He said,

“If you are my adviser, will you advise me to come on national television to tell the whole world regarding matters of sensitive national security issue? Certainly not.”

 

While Nigerians await the comprehensive outcomes of the FG’s investigations, and probably prosecutions of the guilty financiers of terrorism in Nigeria, insurgency still remains active in the country, but for the intervention of security operatives.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.